The MultiCycle project held a successful final dissemination event for a combined in-person and online audience of more than eighty people from the heart of the historic city of Ghent on 7th April 2022.
This event primarily focused upon the application of the MultiCycle physical (selective dissolution based) recycling approach to mixed post-consumer and post-industrial flexible packaging waste streams including multi-layer materials, but also touched upon the evaluation of the technology applied to thermoplastic based fibre-reinforced composites and performance non-wovens in the automotive sector as the project’s other primary end use area of interest. (For more on the application of the MultiCycle approach to the challenges of recycling automotive plastics see the post-event resources from our March 2022 online dissemination event.)
Presentations from MultiCycle’s research team covering the key achievements in scaling up and integrating the core selective solvent based physical recycling and advanced monitoring technologies at the heart of the MultiCycle industrial pilot demonstration process, and from those leading the evaluation of recyclates obtained from using the MultiCycle process to treat representative waste streams were complemented by guest speakers providing different perspectives on future food packaging innovation for sustainability and on how those involved in the flexible packaging industrial value chain are collectively gearing up to deliver a circular economy by 2025.
The presentations from this event are now available to
WATCH AGAIN (video playlist)
or you can download the presentations to view (pdf format).
- Overview of MultiCycle Project – Ana Maria Lopez Sabiron, IRIS Technology
- Challenges and interests of end use sectors: Packaging – Pieter Cools, AMCOR
- Challenges and interests of end use sectors: Automotive – Tuğba Okay, TOFAŞ
- Progress made in MultiCycle : Processing of packaging multilayer plastic waste and recovery of relevant materials – Martin Schlummer, Fraunhofer Institute IVV, Ana Maria Lopez, IRIS
- Progress made in MultiCycle: Evaluation of recyclates in packaging demonstrations applications – Pieter Cools, AMCOR
- The Future of Food Packaging – Peter Ragaert, Director, Pack4Food
- MultiCycle… gear up to market! – Marinella Tsakalova, AXIA Innovation (presentation unavailable)
- Policy Outreach: Position Paper on Multilayer Plastic Packaging and Flexible Films – Alan Encinas and Georg Sostaric, ISWA
- 5 Steps to Build a Circular Economy for Flexible Packaging – Dana Mosora, CEFLEX (Listen to accompanying audio narration)
- Further Information and Resources – John Henderson, Britest and Natalia Grzomba, CrowdHelix